Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

songs for sunday brought to you by Bobby Erskine

this playlist is brought to you by my friend Bobby! Bobby and Missi are fabulous people and bobby has great taste in music, if you'd like to follow his musical choices on twitter you can find him HERE




Lightning Dust - Antonia Jane
Lightning Dust is two members of Canadian band, Black Mountain. That sounds a bit grammatically awkward, but I think it's correct. Anyway, I love the warbled female vocals combined with the sparse instrumentation. At anytime it feels like her voice might disappear all together. They have a few upbeat songs, but Antonia Jane is indicative of the funeral dirge feel that pervades this band. Beautifully haunting.

The Antlers - Bear
In this era of the single, the Antlers made an album. Not only an album, but an album with a storyline. I was a little late onto the Antlers bandwagon, but I'm glad I got on. Hospice is an incredible album and while this track doesn't do it complete justice, it should stand as a teaser to the grandeur. It left me with the same feeling I had when I first heard Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over the Sea. It's a fantastic feeling.

Volcano Choir - Seeplymouth
Like most people, last year I became enamored with Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago. The woodsy music, the back story of jaded love and isolation, Justin Vernon's lumberjack mystique. I bought the Blood Bank EP when it was released and quickly realized that he had much more potential. Which brings us to Volcano Choir, a collaboration of Mr. Vernon and Collections of Colonies of Bees (which includes former members of Pele for any math rock geeks). The result are gorgeous soundscapes and instrumentation to which Vernon's vocals can soar amongst. At first it reminded me of bands such as American Football and Unwed Sailor, but where those bands had trouble transcending their sound, Volcano Choir with the help of Vernon, have created something unique with room to grow. Hopefully this wasn't a one shot deal.

Delta Spirit - Ode To Sunshine
I would love to have Delta Spirit around for those occasions where you are hanging out with friends late into the light and everyone's a bit tired, a bit warm with drink, and perfectly relaxed. I imagine one of them wondering over to a piano, another picking up a guitar, while a few other folks grab any sort of impromptu percussion devices and just launching into a jangly group singalong. It's hard to believe these guys are from San Diego when you hear the backwoods, authentic sound they produce.

Houses - We'll See The Sun
I thought I should at least recognize one local act in this list. Houses is one of the best new Denver bands I've heard in the past few years. They aren't necessarily breaking any new sonic ground, but they do what they do really well. It's great to see a group of musicians come together, write and play quality music, and seem to enjoy it the entire time. I don't get that impression from many bands these days and it's very refreshing.

this is guthrie!

1 comment:

bsomerville said...

yay bobby! you are my favorite tastemaker.

BlogCatalog

Music Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

blog posts